JMI Sports is seeking a candidate to manage multimedia sales and marketing for the University of Pittsburgh Athletic Department. The right applicant will have proven success personally developing and securing key corporate sponsorships, closing marketing deals, and securing media partnerships. Must have a high level of aptitude in developing collaborative relationships and adaptive deal-building, quickly grasping the full potential of bundling athletics opportunities, and constantly providing innovative ideas and solutions to the property team. A successful applicant will embrace and aggressively integrate social media and technology into new programming and inventory development. Must possess strong, senior level corporate relationships locally, regionally and nationally. Must maintain excellent relationships with top university administrators, Athletics staff, and coaches. Strategic planning, entrepreneurial talent, budgeting and employee development skills are also highly desirable. This full-time position is located in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Provide executive leadership to and daily management of property team and rights initiatives
- Conceptualize, develop and implement sales strategies to generate revenue streams for Pitt
- Research and identify industries and organizations to solicit for sponsorship of targeted events
- Leverage relationships with top brand decision makers and their advertising agencies
- Secure and conduct face-to-face sales meetings by leveraging relationships as well as through cold calling
- Strategize, develop and create sponsorship and marketing presentations
- Negotiate and close sponsorship deals and work with legal counsel through contract execution
- Provide financial analysis of sponsorship deals detailing gross fee, activation costs and net sponsorship
- Oversee industry and competitor analysis to highlight category trends and competitive dynamics
- Monitor productivity/quotas of sales staff and manage direct reports in achieving and exceeding goals
- Oversee best practices and implement effective and competitive sales and fulfillment strategies
- Collaborate with Athletics and University executive teams on development of effective business strategies
- Contribute efforts to grow revenues for the property and the Company
- Build and manage sponsor relationships, including exceptional fulfillment and activation results
- 8+ years senior-level, successful and creative sponsorship sales experience or equivalent
- Successful experience developing and managing budgets
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, both written and oral
- Key relationships with senior level marketing executives with national/regional brands
- Knowledge of collegiate sports marketing including content development and distribution for radio, television, websites, plus digital and social media
- Working experience with sponsorship sales, event marketing and activation
- Understanding of media/advertising buys
- Experience in managing sales of bundled assets including naming rights
- Demonstrated experience with technology integration
- Experience in University environment
- Ability to conceptualize, propose, sell and activate innovative Total Campus Marketing programs
- Excellent skills with standard office software including the Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat
- Excellence in pitching, negotiating and closing six and seven figure sponsorship deals
- Ability to communicate value of sponsorship vs. pure media as a marketing solution
- Ability to develop creative proposals that meet and exceed potential partners’ needs
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and collaborative relationships at all levels within a major university
- Ability to recruit, manage, motivate and retain top-notch talent in all areas
- Ability to develop strong peer level relationships and work in a team environment
- Graduate degree in business, marketing or related field preferred
- Applicants with KORE experience will gain our attention
ABOUT JMI SPORTS
JMI Sports is a full-service collegiate marketing firm providing the highest quality management of athletics multimedia rights. Breaking new ground in the creation of the Total Campus Marketing program, JMI Sports works hand-in-hand with each university in the pursuit of their success, maximizing their economic potential. JMI Sports adds the University of Pittsburgh to an impressive list of signature partnerships, including Clemson University, the University of Kentucky, the Ivy League, the University of Pennsylvania, and joint-venture properties of the University of Georgia and Columbia University (with IMG College), as well as the University of Notre Dame (with Legends). Founded in 2006 by Erik Judson and technology entrepreneur John Moores, former owner of the San Diego Padres, JMI Sports is also a highly regarded project manager for the development of collegiate and professional sports facilities.
ABOUT PITT SPORTS MARKETING
JMI Sports was recently awarded official multimedia rights as the corporate sponsorship partner of the University of Pittsburgh Athletic Department. Operating as Pitt Sports Marketing, our team works as an extension of Pitt to expand partnerships with corporate sponsors and enhance multimedia platforms, highlighting Pitt’s remarkable athletic programs. The Panthers rich athletics history, originally established in 1869, currently supports 19 varsity sports and boasts national championships in Football (nine) and Basketball (two). The Pitt Sports Marketing team is focused on building valuable long-term relationships between the University and its partners to achieve the unique and multi-faceted business objectives of each company. Our team approaches sponsorship solutions with creativity, customizing marketing opportunities to help our clients activate sponsorship opportunities that support their goals enhancing the fan experience at athletic events.
JMI Sports offers competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, paid vacation and 401k plan.
Email resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org, noting job title and property name in subject line. No phone calls.
JMI Sports is an Equal Opportunity Employer seeking diverse, qualified candidates to join our team.